Thursday, September 4, 2008

Thoughts?

I know, no one wants to get in to politics on this blog. I only know the political views of a select few of the KofC contingency. But I watched the RNC last night basically from 5pm to midnight last night. And I wanted to get some of your opinions. I watched Palin's speech and it's clear she is a great speaker, and a "pit bull with lipstick."

I don't know if any of you watched it but here are a few excerpts:

Our son, Track, is 19. And one week from tomorrow, September 11, he'll deploy to Iraq with the Army infantry in the service of his country.

Possibly illegal to release deployment dates of troops, or she is lying to remind us of 9/11.

I guess -- I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except that you have actual responsibilities.

At the time Obama was being a lowly community organizer, Palin was taking on the "actual" responsibilities, of being a sports reporter for a local news station and working at a car wash.

I told the Congress, "Thanks, but no thanks," on that Bridge to Nowhere.

After you ran your campaign on the platform of building the bridge, saying the term "Bridge to Nowhere" was insulting to the people that lived in "Nowhere",went to the town the bridge was going to be built and told them that it was necessary to their economy. You then accepted the money from the federal government that was meant for the bridge, and never built it.

That pipeline, when the last section is laid and its valves are open, will lead America one step farther away from dependence on dangerous foreign powers that do not have our interests at heart.

Do you mean the pipeline, built and maintained by Canadians?

Americans, we need to produce more of our own oil and gas. And... And take it from a gal who knows the North Slope of Alaska: We've got lots of both.

The oil that will take over decade to get to our gas tanks, reduce the price of gas by mere cents and will run out in an estimated 10 years.

Our opponents say again and again that drilling will not solve all of America's energy problems, as if we didn't know that already.

Totally. As if.

Al Qaida terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America, and he's worried that someone won't read them their rights.

Yes, don't read them there rights, throw them in a POW camp for a few years. Then they can run for president once they get out.

Government is too big; he wants to grow it. Congress spends too much money; he promises more. Taxes are too high, and he wants to raise them. His tax increases are the fine print in his economic plan.

And let me be specific: The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes, and raise payroll taxes, and raise investment income taxes, and raise the death tax, and raise business taxes, and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars.

Yes, very specific. He must want to raise ALL income taxes, ALL payroll taxes, ALL investment taxes etc. I mean you didn't say anything about shifting the tax burden away from middle to lower class, and you said you were being specific so I believe everything you said is exactly true.

My sister, Heather, and her husband, they just built a service station that's now open for business, like millions of others who run small businesses. How are they... How are they going to be better off if taxes go up?

Well unless your sister makes a few million with her service station, I don't think it will affect her.

I could go on and on with some of it. I neglected to mention all the POW talk just because I don't think I could add anything to new to it.



Best Daily Show Clip Yet.

21 comments:

Pablito Neal said...

i'll comment since i'm somewhat concerned with politics. palin is acting like a huge bitch going after obama so haughtily and people in the crowd were just eating up her lies. i really hope the shit with her daughter gets more attention along with mccain cheating on his first wife and cindy mccain stealing from her own charity to supplement her percocet and vicodin addictions. socially conservative and good family values? i don't think so.

locopuyo said...

let the hate flow through you

Daymonster said...

puyo, don't act like you are above it.

Pablito Neal said...

i watched the rnc last night and they changed to a camera zoomed in on someone wearing a button reading 'Hoosiers for the hot chick | McCain Palin'

i was like wow, how sexist! the camera zooms out and it's a woman wearing it.

haha

locopuyo said...

------- me






------- it

Daymonster said...

Just pretend like one of the politicians said "starcraft is for noobs"

locopuyo said...

Sara Palin is my aunt you asshole

Daymonster said...

SaraH with an H. Show some respect for your Aunt you asshole.

locopuyo said...

lol awake already

Daymonster said...

double lulz

locopuyo said...

sure sure, they just left them out in trash bags by dumpsters and were going to pick them up later

Daymonster said...

that's assuming that these "boy scouts" or "vendors" or "common people" depending on the source really found bags of thrown away flags that were "in the dumpster", "near the dumpster", "by a service entrance" again, depending on which source.

The sad thing is there are a few people that will vote on a candidate based solely on this story.

Unky Warthog said...

Really doesn't bother me either way. It's unfortunate things like this become stories.

BTW, I'm not voting.

If I were in a swing state, had a strong preference, did not have to waste taxpayer money to have an absentee ballot sent to me, then I MIGHT consider it. But since my individual vote is entirely insignificant (for any substantive purpose), I'm not gonna waste mine or anyone else's time.

Call me a free-rider, but I'm surprised the voter turnout is even as high as it is.

Daymonster said...

Unky,

I totally agree, I have gotten in numerous fights about how statistically your vote doesn't matter. And up until a few weeks ago I was saying I wasn't going to vote and was dead serious, not because I didn't like a candidate or for some symbolic reason but because getting up 30 min earlier or walking 300 meters father etc. isn't worth it.

But then i started thinking about how I hope to a social studies teacher. And while I have no problem explaining to college aged kids or above about the statistics behind voting but I probably won't explain that to the middle school aged kids.

But if a student asks me if I voted in the election with the first black presidential candidate (on a major parties ticket) and the second female vice-pres candidate (again, on a major parties ticket)I want to be able to say 'yes'.

ShoesMcGee said...

I think it is a stupid non-issue. I can't believe media reports on this shit, and on top of it, people might actually vote based on it. Currently nobody has my vote... That whole Obama voting for FISA thing, and McCain not voting really pissed me off. Maybe I'll write in Obi-Wan Kenobi, or Ron Paul or something.

Unky Warthog said...

Yeah that makes sense, Monster.

I'd be more willing to convince a group of people to vote than I would be to vote myself. I guess telling a classroom that is in a similar vein.

If I were to vote I'm not sure who I would vote for. I don't think that McCain's actual policies have been evidenced in his campaign and I don't really think he'd be that similar to Bush (especially Bush's stubbornness and principles).

But there are unappealing aspects to him; his militarism, age, sharpness, and recent social conservatism (that hasn't always been so prominent), that I don't really like.

My main gripe about Obama is his protectionism. I feel that his position on free trade could be quite damaging to our economy and our place in the world and I think he goes too far to the left in issues like the environment and health care.

Still, I think either of them will be far better than Bush has been; a good thing.

Ron Paul was somewhat appealing, but his nationalism/protectionism is a big turn off to me, despite his position on pertinent personal issues (like online gaming) that are in line with my views.

locopuyo said...

I was thinking either Paris Hilton or McCain.

And I love stories like that, it brings me epic lulz.

DJmaestro said...

This is off topic, but it needs to be said. As I am writing this I am drinking an imported German beer called Warsteiner. It's a pilsner, and for anyone who is interested it is one of the best beers I have ever had. Drinking mass amounts of it would make anyone happy. Besides you guys needed a break from all this damn political talk, so please take my advice and grab a Warsteiner and any other beer you want.

Unky Playboy said...

I wish that the media was open about their bias rather than trying to act like they are non-partisan... case in point-blowing these non issues out of proportion.

It's unfortunate that people are attacking Palin's family so heavily when people were up in arms about Michelle Obama being targeted even though she came out and spoke with some pretty controversial one-liners.

Unky, as I have told you before, I agree...however since I do live in a swing state and don't have to absentee, I'm voting.

Everyone talks of change but all I see is the same old political garbage that Obama has criticized and that people really are tired of. I agree with Unky again on Ron Paul's major fault, but I think if people really wanted a change, they should have voted for him. Since I can't really stomach either candidate...it'll probably be Libertarian for me.

Daymonster said...

I hate Ron Paul for so many reasons.

The issue with the daughter for me is this. If she wasn't for mandating abstinence only sex education in schools and not providing birth control with insurance. It wouldn't be a big deal, but she wants all of these things yet, she most likely got knocked-up before she eloped with her husband and her daughter did too. It just goes against somethings she wants to push on the American people.

The change that Obama is talking about, is not necessary radical structural change, like getting rid of states rights or changing the entire tax system, it's about policy change. And that's why I like him. I agree with 90% of his policies and I agree with 10% of McCains. So even though it's naive of me to think that Obama will accomplish everything he wants to in 4 years, it would be nice to have a president who's motivation is the same as mine.

Media's biased, I don't think they need to spell it out for the people. It's pretty obvious, some are far on the left, some are far on the right, and some sway back and forth.

Pablena said...

my history and social studies teacher in high school once said, not voting shows that you don´t care about what happens to you/your country, but voting invalid (if that´s the word) shows you don´t care about the candidates/options they offer. i thought that was pretty cool.