Thursday, August 21, 2008

Great Marketing... or the GREATEST Marketing.

EA used to be awesome back when it was called Electronic Arts. Then it got shitty and became the easy target for core gamers to mock. "All their games suck, they never come out with anything cool or inventive" was the usual hatred for EA.

But recently if you look at what they are doing, they are probably actually trying more new things than anyone other game studio. From Mirror's Edge (which looks awesome), to Skate and finally, Spore. EA is actually coming out with some pretty cool stuff.

Now some of you might be saying, Eff EA, all they do is come up with a new version every year of [Insert Sport Here] and they don't make any improvements they just update the roster. We'll that maybe true for the most part but it's got to be pretty hard to revolutionize a game every year especially when it's on the console that you have been using for the past few years. The other option would be for there to not be a new game every year and only when they come out with something really new, but that wouldn't go over well with anyone either.

And come to think of it, sports game are no different than fighting games. They come out with the same exact game but they add one tiny new fight mode and some special character from a different series altogether. And they get less shit than the makers of the sport games. What's up with that?

Anyways that was a long introduction to the following two videos. Watch the first one first (Imagine that.) and the second one second. EA gets it.

YouTube Video from Levinator25


Youtube Video Response from EA Sports

7 comments:

Daymonster said...

Worst argument ever.
Here

Unky Playboy said...

Pretty rough... he should have talked about the other cities that weren't cited as justification for his argument before saying it was solely because of Democrats that they absolutely suck. Also probably should have talked about the 10 best...

This was a funny sentence though, "If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, the asylums in those cities must be as full as the soup kitchens." I think his comment on politics are local was pretty on target though.

Worst argument ever... I disagree just because I lived on Farwell 5th and encountered nubs that will remain nameless. Flawed argument...yes, but still thought provoking.

Unky Playboy said...

Worst person ever.

Here

Daymonster said...

I mean certainly it's not the worst argument ever. The worst argument ever would be incoherent babble.

But it's a terrible terrible argument. 95% of large metro areas have Dem Mayors. So it should be no surprise that Dems will be the Mayors of the cities with the highest poverty rate.

It's classic correlation doesn't mean causation. Also, using a quote from Ben Franklin and claiming it has to do with the minimum wage is also moronic as Franklin died about 100 years before minimum wage was even developed.

Also on a side note. I could care less what some of our old founding fathers thought about, times have severely changed, and their opinion 9 out of 10 times is irrelevant. Just likes ours will be 200-300 years from now.

On a second side note why is the phrase "could care less" when you mean you couldn't care less?

Unknown said...

Even though I'd still pick NBA 2K over Madden and Winning E over FIFA any day, I still think it's hilarious/awesome of them to do this. And Daymonster, you're right about them starting to work on new games that look like a blast to play.

By the way, what system do you think you'll be getting Mirror's Edge for? I'm sure some of you have both a PS3 and 360, but there are probably some readers that don't. If you don't have both systems, I suggest taking a look at this Stacker 2 contest going on where you can win the system of your choice. Right now there are less than 200 entrants too, so you have to like your chances. Check out the details here: http://www.brickfish.com/Entertainment/Stacker2?tab=overview

By the way, I hope you don't mind me commenting on your blog. If you have any questions or end up entering, feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I'd be happy to vote for your designs.

Franklin Keane
www.6hrpower.com
Franklin6hrpower@gmail.com

adeclipse said...

So Vegas is a great place to be. Just figured i'd post that i'm back, possibly a few bucks up, but there was so much beer that I can't be sure. Also on another note I was playing a slot machine for a bit waiting on my wife and sister to get back from shopping, so i played 5 dollars and was going back and forth winning then losing. I finally ran out of my 5 and got up to go meet up with them. After I got up I forgot my beer so i turned around to go back and get it and an old asian lady was sitting at the machine that I was at with it flashing and had just won 5 grand. I almost punched her off of the stool. Anyways, i'm sure i'll be on xbox coming up the next few days. I'm going to go through detox for a few days though.. Peace

locopuyo said...

I'm gonna be in KC till wednesday so I probably won't be on.