Thursday, January 31, 2008

Get to Know 'Em: Round 2 (Squatting Bear)

I emailed Squatting Bear a few questions that were on my mind. Here are the responses.


What is your favorite map out of the Heroic DLC Map Pack?
I like Rat's Nest the most, though to be honest I'm unimpressed by them all, especially Foundry. Creating a 'forgeable map' seems like a lazy cop-out to me.

What map from Halo 1 or Halo 2 do you hope will be remade in the future Map Pack?
Damnation. Daymonster has mentioned it before I believe, and I agree, Damnation has a solid mix of close range and long range battles that I feel would be well suited for Halo 3.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being horrible) how would you rate the Santana/Mets trade?
I think the trade was a 6 or 7. I'm really disappointed we didn't take earlier offers from the Yankees or Red Sox, though I am glad we traded Santana before we lost him to free agency after this season. The trade isn't as bad as I originally thought, Baseball America ranks the prospects we got from the Mets as the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 7th rated prospects in their organization. Hopefully 1 or 2 of them will pan out.

Predict the 2008 AL Central standings:
Tigers, Indians, Twins, White Sox, Royals. I don't think the Twins have much hope for 2008, though 2009 and 2010 look good.

Lost Question: Jack or Sawyer?
Probably Jack, though he can get annoying at times. Really looking forward to the season premiere tonight.

Please explain why you think Call of Duty 4 is better than Halo 3:
It's hard to say exactly why, I just find it to be more fun. Upgrading and customizing your soldier is really fun, and killing opponents is more satisfying than in Halo. Also, its nice to start with good weapons, its not such a whore-fest, and reminds me of Halo 1 where you are ready to battle as soon as you spawn.

Should the other Knights of Cydonia start playing COD4?
I'd like to see us try it out. I think it could be really fun, as each person would need to specialize in certain aspects and customizations. It would be a different change of pace to each have our own roles and responsibilities.

What's your favorite weapon in COD4?
Right now I prefer the m16, as I unlock more I could possibly see that changing.

What about a favorite map?
Don't have one, I've only played each a few times and don't really know my way around them yet. [Editor's note: can we agree the ship map sucks?]

What is your current favorite perk?
Stopping power. It kills dudes faster, which is always a plus.

4 comments:

locopuyo said...

My favorite so far is the M4, I've only had it unlocked for one match though. It is almost as accurate as the M16 and since it is fully automatic it helps a lot for close quarters battle.

M4 is the only gun I've unlocked so far, and I do like the G4A3 or whatever that british automatic one is, but haven't used it enough to determine if I like it better.

I crave the Aug, but I don't think it is in COD4.

Daymonster said...

Yeah, I can't decide M16 or M4. I swear when I pick up the M4 i get in more long range battles and when I choose the M16 I am in more close quarters.

locopuyo said...

Squatting Bear and I just played a bunch of games together. I changed my mind, I like the M16 better now. Now I'm trying to decide if I like the iron sites or the red dot better. It seems easier to aim at mid and close range with the iron sites, but a little bit easier to aim long range with the red dot. But it seems like it tanks longer to aim with the red dot.

Jeff said...

First impression of the game: I have a lot to get used to. The first online match I played I spent the entire time dying 5 seconds after spawning and being bombarded by air support. I was trying to practice up in the single player campaign but LP and SB signed on when I barely got into it.

I think I'll like the game more after I get used to not being able to take a shot or two and get back in cover. The last couple games I played I was getting better. Sometimes I swear I'm in cover, or I can almost guarantee that I turn the corner of a building, but then I get shot down and watching the opponent's camera it looks like I was just sitting out in the open. I also get hung up on doors a lot.

I also don't like how the jumping works out. It's kind of like a mix of Halo and GOW, some things you can jump on, some you fail to jump on because they're too high and then have to push A to climb up.....

I'm definately going to play through more single player and read up on the different weapons. I'm on the "Harder" setting I think and the part in the TV studio during the first level took me FOREVER. I would walk in far enough to get the evildoers going and then pick a few off, then die by grenade. My arm was getting so tired from throwing grenades back. I have a problem too where I push the button to throw a grenade back before it shows on my screen, so I just huck one of my own and then die as the other explodes. Finally I just sat back in a room and picked them off for about five minutes, they kept coming back, so I hucked some nades and advanced into some other rooms with cover that I could get into before but never survive. This time I had more support but I had also already taken out some annoying bastards on the second floor walkway.

All in all so far I would not say I'm super impressed, and the first couple of multiplayer sessions just simply put were not fun. It got better though, and I think it will continue to the more I play.